Curriculum,
Assessment and Pedagogy
The curriculum has just undergone a significant change through its
transformation into the Australian Curriculum. While the changing of curriculum
has been hard for all schools, it is necessary that education evolves with the
waves of societal change. Due to the curriculum being determined by the
education department and government, change is inevitable, however teachers have
the opportunity to utilise the new curriculum descriptors to develop new and exciting
learning experiences for their students.
In my experience with the new Australian Curriculum, the resource
has enabled me to provide real life, purposeful learning experiences that are
engaging and informative for the students. While for most of the year, I generally
followed the Curriculum 2 Classroom lesson plans and resources, as I got into
my internship, I thoroughly enjoyed turning the C2C into a resource and
creating my own lessons that the students found more interactive and engaging.
After one particular Maths lesson, I was told by a teacher aide that my Maths
games were fantastic ideas and that the students were really engaged. She was
shocked when I told her that I had used one of the C2C resources as inspiration
and changed into my own resource. I feel very fortunate that I was able to
experience the introduction of the Australian Curriculum in my final year of
practicum as I believe that if it had been thrown upon me next year as it was
this year for all of the teaching community, I would have found it difficult to
use. Now however, I believe that I am a lot more confident with the new
curriculum and have learnt how to utilise it and use it to my advantage rather
than hate it.
Assessment
comes in many forms, with Authentic Assessment, arguable being the most beneficial
for students. “An authentic learning context provides students with
a lens to conduct the task through” (Davis & Dargusch, sighted in Lynch & Knight,
2010). Authentic Assessment occurs when a learning manager provides their
students with real life activities that assess students whilst have meaning
within the real world. To develop authentic assessment teachers must measure
student’s learning, achievement, motivation and attitudes toward school (Marzano & Pickering, 2009).
Throughout my four years
at university, I have completed courses that encourage the use of Authentic
Assessment. In Ensuring Student Success, I worked within a group to research
and create a script and role play that focussed on the benefits of Authentic
Assessment. This task in particular helped to scaffold my understanding of how,
as learning managers, we can assess students in other ways than the usual test.
Authentic Assessment is also a strategy to help with differentiation as it helps
to assess those students that are significantly lower than the rest of the
class in a way that they can relate to in the real world. Throughout my
internship, I was required to use regular assessment tasks to assess students’ knowledge;
however I did use some Authentic Assessment tasks for my own personal formative
assessment.
Applying appropriate
pedagogy in the curriculum and assessment is paramount to the success to
students learning (Whitby, 2007). There are a number of frameworks that
have been created to help learning managers use good pedagogy within is often
referred to as the art and science to teaching and learning (Sanguinetti, Waterhouse, & Maunders, 2004). Pedagogy is made up
of nine instructional strategies that include; identifying similarities and
differences, cues and advanced organisers, cooperative learning, summarising
and note taking, reinforcing effort and providing recognition, homework and
practice, non-linguistic representations, generating and testing hypotheses and
questions and finally, setting objectives and providing feedback.
Throughout the past four
years, I have developed and used each of the nine strategies both at university
- during lectures and assessment tasks, and during my school placements. Examples
of how I have used some of the strategies include summarising and note taking
within lectures to ensure that I have gained all of the important information, identifying
similarities and differences within a university and school context and finally,
setting objectives within the classroom and providing appropriate feedback to
my students.
Managing
interpersonal interactions
Throughout their career, learning managers will be involved with a
variety of different stakeholders such as parents, peers and members of the
community. A good relationship with all these stakeholders is important in
order to fully benefit the learners and increase their knowledge. Families in the
school bestow different forms of capital upon their children providing
different experiences and lifestyles (Bourdieu, 1986). Therefore a learning manager needs to
develop an understanding of the backgrounds of each individual child within the
cohort so that they are able individualise learning experiences that will
benefit each child. This will ensure that students are not marginalised and regardless
of their economic, cultural or social capital, are able to gain understanding
and knowledge.
Having worked as a learn to swim teacher for five years, in hospitality
for two and retail for five, I believe that I have excellent interpersonal
skills. I have learnt the importance of building good relationships with others
and feel that this is the same within the school community. Throughout the
three years that I have completed practicum at schools, I have worked hard to
develop good relationships with the staff, children and parents. In my second
year at Matthew Flinders, I found the staff slightly intimidating and found the
task more difficult, however this year I have tried hard to make connections
with everyone. My mentor teacher has told me that numerous numbers of staff
have approached her and commented on my ability to build relationships with
them. My mentor teacher mentioned that the support staff were also impressed
with my friendly approach and that I make an effort to build a relationship
with them.
Within the classroom, I am a strong believer of building good
relationships with every child within the room. I understand that some students
are very likeable and this task is easy, while others are less likeable and the
task can be quite difficult. As a graduate, my goal is to not only love the
likeable but also love the unlikeable, as Jo mentioned on our final day of
university. This quote by Henry Adams; a teacher
affects eternity, he can never tell where his influence stops, is a true
statement of the influence teachers have on their students and I will take this
quote with me into my first year of teaching. Finally, as a teacher may never
know how much they affect their students and in what ways, they need to continually
act with integrity and professionalism within the classroom and out, whilst
displaying exceptional interpersonal skills to every stakeholder that they
encounter.
No comments:
Post a Comment